Monday, November 19, 2012

Konichiwa

So, here I am on day 2 of my trip to Japan, preaching with the Nelson's at Nirayama, in sight of the beautiful Mt Fuji. I pushed through until 9:00 last night and feel like I am holding the dreaded jet-lag at bay for now. As I made my way here on 2 planes (via Moscow!) and 3 trains I jotted down a selection of random thoughts on my journey so far that I thought I'd take this opportunity to share.

First tho; Mo news...
as you can see, this Movember's effort is coming on strong. Not sure what breed of Mo it looks like yet. Possibly 1950's bin man? I haven't set up a web page for sponsorship, I know too many people already doing it. I thought it made sense to redirect to them. This year I am urging people to give via the page of Steve Besford.  Come on people, dig deep. Some of us look proper silly! I refer you also to the pages of Matthew Arrowsmith and Giles Smith.




So, a beginning to some Japanese cultural differences as noted by a roaming Gai-Jin on day 1. I assume some of these 1st impressions will change as time goes on...

A significant number of people are wearing surgical masks. I first noticed a row of matching young ladies on the plane and some more at the airport. Once I was out in the world, I noticed some men too, but far fewer (would have covered up the magnificent moustaches!). Apparently this is to block in-bound germs (on the plane) or politely restrain out-bound germs when one is afflicted with lurgee.  Some of this makes a good deal of sense; the culture is still very family oriented and many families continue to cohabit. It's not unusual for 4 generations to be in the same home, exposing both elderly and very young to germs. That said, cleanliness seems to be something of a national obsession bordering on the compulsive. I am told that I need to sneeze gently (which will be a MAMMOTH effort) and leave he room to blow my nose. Wonder what else I need to leave the room for...

Anyhow, apparently I'm off to quarter the town to get oriented now (Pun totally intended!). More news and impressions later!


No comments:

Post a Comment