Friday, November 23, 2012

George Best, a biblical role model?!

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted."


I have a lot of Time for Belfast's favorite son, and I like to think St Paul would have appreciated the sentiments of this much quoted line.

...(pause for sharp intake of breath)...

Yes, I am saying that St Paul would have approved of a man dedicating his resources whole-heatedly to chasing skirt, getting drunk and driving around in fast cars, absolutely he would!





Alright, I admit it, I'm joking, but only a little.

Check this out:


I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. (2Timothy 4:7)


So what's the point? Am I referring to St Paul's legendary athletic abilities? Is he particularly proud of his top ranked for age placing in the Ephesus half marathon? 

No.

Don't be silly.


Paul knew he was near the end of his life. He knew the gig was up, the executioners would be coming for him soon. He wasn't worried. Elsewhere in his letters he writes of how he was ready to go, to move on up to heaven and be with his Lord. Death held no fear for him (although I can't believe he didn't quail at the method he knew was in store!). 

I can kind of get my head around this. I'm not there by any means, but I'd like to be there and I can imagine that a few more years walking with Jesus will see me gradually closer to that fearless point of view. What truly impresses me is the self-confidence Paul shows here, the certainty that he has done the best he can. Just like George, Paul worked out what he wanted from his life and he went for it. I'm not saying he was perfect; I know he can't have been. His own words tell us that! It's just amazing that, as Kipling put it, Paul seems to have filled the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds worth of distance run.

I don't think I do better than  30 seconds most days.

It's perhaps a little embarrassing, that as Christians, we need George Best to show us what commitment to a cause looks like. Surely our cause, our faith, our saviour means more to us that booze birds and cars did to George? I know most of us would say yes, but I don't know many who can honestly say that they only wasted 10% of the only real resource their creator gave them, their time to run their race for and with Him down here.

I'm trying to do better.

How are you doing?

I don't know about you, but I'm awfully glad for Grace!

Don't worry, keep trying, and keep praying, keep asking for help!


A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not 

discovered the value of life. Charles Darwin


No comments:

Post a Comment